Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Thinking on Paper

> When I was taking my first design classes in college, computers weren't associated with the "art" building (yes, I'm dating myself here). We all had sketchbooks that were full of ideas, concepts, doodles, drawings, and with the beginning of any project, the thinking started on paper. By the time I finished school and had my degree, designers were starting to incorporate computers as production tools, but only for technical things. Designers were still working out concepts and designs on paper before ever taking them digital.
> I was talking to a friend the other day. He's a professor and teaches design courses at a nearby university. We were laughing about how his students give him quizzical looks when he mentions the term "sketchbook", or mentions working out concepts on paper first, rather than just starting on the computer.
> Occasionally I'll start my designs on the computer - depends on what type of project I'm working on, but I feel more comfortable if I have several sketches that I've worked up on paper first. I think better on paper! I can get out more ideas, and get a sense if they're feasible more quickly when I start with sketches.
> I'm sure the "new" designers who don't know anything different, do their best thinking on the computer, but for me, I'm glad I was on the bridge between both traditional and digital design. I can pick and choose between whatever technique and tool is going to produce the best results.

No comments:

Post a Comment