Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Simple Creativity

> When I was in grade school, I LOVED when the "BookMobile" came! When I mentioned this to a friend years ago, he had a good laugh because he knew I didn't care about reading (I've since discovered that I just needed to find things I enjoyed reading, now I LOVE to read!) But at the time, he asked what I possibly liked about having a rolling library come, since I didn't like to read. Well, without fail, I would look for one of the "Harold and the Purple Crayon" books (by Crockett Johnson). I loved those books!
> The thing I still love about those books is that they represent creativity in its simplest form. A great concept, illustrated in the most simple but direct way of communicating that concept. A little boy who goes on adventures based on what his own crayon draws—and it's illustrated with line art, using flat colors. Imagination and execution. It inspired me then, without really understanding why; and simple solutions based on great concepts are still the things I'm inspired by the most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment