Thursday, March 5, 2015

Pretty, Old Things


> I love to look around in antique stores. I've posted a few times about things I've loved and purchased (printers blocks, printers type); and some I've loved but left behind (cool rusty metal thing). 
> We did a bit of traveling around in the DC area last October, and in Lancaster County, PA, an antique mall was screaming out to me. Gene is a good sport and stopped.
> It didn't take long before he was going his own pace, looking at things that captured his interest, but it took a little while before I saw something that caught my eye, then, gasp! Look at this gorgeous book! I want it! (gulp! the price tag confirms I don't want it THAT bad!) It KILLS me when I find a one-of-a-kind treasure that is so amazing, but I can't justify the price (several hundred dollars in this case). The practical side of me confirms, "What would you do with it anyway?!" It was the most amazing family Bible, with a gorgeous embossed leather cover, complete with beautifully-scripted family genealogy in the first pages, as well as important, beautifully intricate documents tucked in the pages.
> I didn't have my camera with me, so I did the best I could with the not-so-great lighting and my camera phone. But even though the photos aren't great quality, looking at them makes me so glad I got to see and hold these special things. (Can you believe that intricate marriage certificate?? It looks like a handkerchief! If mine was beautiful like that, it would be framed on the wall instead of tucked in a manila folder in the filing cabinet...)





2 comments:

  1. I've never seen anything like that marriage certificate. It makes me sad that the Bible has become separated from its family. I want to know how that happened- I want to know the story. :) I love antique stores- there are so many stories. I want to know all the stories.

    Maralee, I saw your beautiful, one-of-a-kind lettering at Marissa's Saturday Dishes party. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy - I know, I feel that same sadness when I see old photos in antique stores too!
      Thank you for your compliment on the "pet names" :-) I love making them!

      Delete