Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Creativity Blockers

> I recently ran across a folder of things I have been saving for "something". A lot is outdated and now fills my trash can, but there are a few gems that I will keep. One of them is a handout I saved from one of my first art classes in college. I couldn't find it online anywhere, so I'm sure who to give authorship to, but I want to share it anyway.

> The Ten Commandments That Block Creativity

   1)  Everything thou doest must be useful
   2)  Everything thou doest must be successful
   3)  Everything thou doest must be perfect
   4)  Everyone thou knowest must like thee
   5)  Thou must not prefer solitude to togetherness
   6)  Remember concentrated attention and keep it holy
   7)  Do not diverge from culturally imposed norms
   8)  Thou shat not express excessive emotional feeling
   9)  Thou shalt not be ambiguous
   10)  Thou shalt not rock the cultural boat

> As  highly disciplined person, I find myself following more of these intuitively, rather than realizing they may stunt my creativity, so for me, it helps open my mind and be more creative when I focus on a few of them to slack on.> What about you? Which of these things do you do? If you allow yourself some leeway, how does it affect your creativity?

No comments:

Post a Comment