Thursday, May 27, 2010

mixed messages

> I'm a long-time fan of "visual puns". In fact the first design book I purchased that wasn't required for a college class, was a collection of visual puns used in design. I was fascinated and even jealous of the illustrators and designers who were able to create these types of designs. It's tough enough to come up with a single "really good" concept, let alone two—that make the whole better than the sum of its parts.
> Most designers that I know have respect for the talent of their competitors, and I'm always on the lookout for other designers whose talent and creativity inspire me, that make me think of things in ways that had never occurred to me.
> I was reading through some blogs I have bookmarked, and came across one that mentioned the design company Spur Design. When I started looking at their posters, I remembered seeing their work in design award annuals. I was impressed back then, and it was a treat to find them online and be inspired once again by their creativity and masterful use of visual puns in their posters for their client "Theatre Project". These are two of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment